Alberta River Float
Saturday 9:00-12:00 May 11, 2019 - Calgary and EdmontonScience Odyssey is Canada’s largest celebration of science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM). Two weeks of discovery and innovation will bring together hundreds of events all across Canada that showcase STEM topics in fun and entertaining ways. This celebration will bring science to the streets and open the doors to labs, museums, research centres and more to create public awareness of Canadian achievements in STEM.
You’re invited to join RiverWatch for our local Science Odyssey event! Members of the public, adults, youth, teachers, supporters and families will join us for a free and fun Saturday morning of rafting, learning and cookies. This event will float the same river routes that nearly 150,000 of our RiverWatch students have used over the past 25 years. Participants of all ages will now enjoy floating past the science, engineering and bird life of their local river - a great way to celebrate the real arrival of spring! Limited to just 75 participants, we hope to see you there!
- In both cities, registrants will travel by raft staffed by a professional river interpreter and guide.
- At a shoreline stop, participants will take a cookie break and optionally help collect science data.
- Participants are provided a bus shuttle between the river and back to their vehicles as a part of this 3-hour event.
- Some walking is required and those that are able will help lift rafts to and from the water.
- Dress for the weather and with footwear that can get wet.
- RiverWatch will supply lifejackets for children ages 12-18 yrs and these children are welcome to help paddle.
- Children ages 5-12 yrs can attend if they have their own lifejackets and sit centre-of-raft without paddling.
- The trip is not suitable for children under 5 yrs.